Call Blocker Apps 101: The Permanent End to Unwanted Calls
If you have an unwanted call problem, you’ve likely looked into a call blocker app as the solution. Unwanted calls, whether they are spam calls or calls from someone in your personal life, are difficult to stop. Call blocker apps provide the real solution to your phone harassment in many ways.
The phone network is a complex web of carriers and solutions providers, making it difficult for most providers and government organizations to find and punish those who break telephone communication laws. Though this unfortunate reality is frustrating, you can take matters into your own hands.
In this post, we will cover:
- Why a call blocker app is valuable in the fight against unwanted calls
- What you should consider when looking for a call blocker app that’s right for you
- Why other solutions to stop unwanted calls are ineffective
- The benefits of downloading a call blocker app on your smartphone
Why a Call Blocker App is the Best Solution to Your Unwanted Call Problem
Using a call blocker app is the most effective solution to dealing with your unwanted call problem because it puts the power in your hands. The best call blocker apps give you the power to flag & block incoming unwanted calls and provide you with the suite of tools that can hold the offender accountable.
Many times, people that call from blocked numbers have bad or illegal intentions. Unfortunately, most call blocker apps cannot unmask the caller responsible for those blocked calls. To solve this problem, you need a call blocker app that provides blocked call unmasking, reverse phone call lookups, and phone call recording to solve this problem.
Call blocking apps such as TrapCall provide the toolkit to make recordings of unwanted phone calls, identify exactly who’s calling. Further, if you plan to take legal action, you can use TrapCall to record the contents of the call to provide evidence of fraud or harassment.
The Federal Trade Commission states that using a call blocker app gives you the ability to:
- Prescreen your calls before the phone rings
- Block certain types of calls, including calls that others have flagged as fraudulent or unwanted calls
- Block anonymous calls that show up as “Unknown” callers
- Use reverse lookup to detect fake caller ID information from call spoofing
What to Consider When Looking for a Call Blocker App That’s Right for You
There are a few call blocker apps on the Google Play or Apple App Store. Many are free apps that provide limited call blocking services and spam protection. Other call blocker apps are paid subscriptions and typically provide more extensive functionality in stopping your unwanted call problem.
When deciding whether or not to purchase a call blocker app or download a free one, our advice is simple. You get what you pay for.
If you’d like to start by trying a free app first, then it is realistic to expect limited protection from unwanted calls. If you’ve been a victim of unwanted calls, phone harassment, or phone scams, you understand there is no price for a sense of security when you answer the phone. Therefore, we recommend purchasing an app to provide the tools you need to truly stop your unwanted call problem.
It is also important to look for a call blocker app that is compatible with both your smartphone’s operating system (Android or iOS) and your phone service provider (such as Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile). Many times, these mobile apps have challenges with pre-paid phone carriers because of technical limitations. Make sure to look for compatibility for both operating systems and phone carriers in the app’s App Store description or on their website.
Why a Solution Other Than Using a Call Blocker App Is Ineffective
At TrapCall, we get a lot of questions as to why other solutions besides purchasing a call blocker app can be ineffective to stop unwanted calls.
The solutions that are most commonly questioned are:
- The Do Not Call registry
- Phone carriers and service providers
- Filing a complaint with the FTC
- Default phone number blocking on iPhone or Android
While some of the recommended solutions can certainly help reduce the number of unwanted calls you receive – the unfortunate reality is that they are just not designed to truly help you put an end to your spam call or phone harassment problem. In the next section, we will highlight the major reasons why that is so.
The Do Not Call Registry
You have also likely been let down when you receive spam calls days, minutes, or seconds later. Some people even complain that registering their phone numbers on the Do Not Call List actually makes their spam problem worse – but the concept has never been proven.
While registering your phone number on the Do Not Call List will certainly reduce the number of legal telemarketing calls you receive -it will not stop the spam calls you receive. It simply was not designed to combat the 65% of unwanted calls that are considered illegal scam (and likely fraudulent).
It’s not to say we don’t recommend taking any stop possible to stop unwanted spam calls. We do recommend registering on the Do Not Call List if you don’t want to receive legal telemarketing calls, but do not recommend you or your loved ones rely on the Do Not Call List as the all-encompassing solution.
Phone Carriers & Service Providers
There are four basic reasons why phone companies have not done much to provide call blocking solutions to their customers.
- Money. Understanding the economics of spam calls is the first step in solving the problem. Placing phone calls is inexpensive for telemarketers and spammers; they can make millions of illegal calls at little cost and with almost no risk. Unfortunately, phone companies make money when they connect these calls to your phone. So, unless their competitors are offering a better solution to stop nuisance calls, carriers have little incentive and plenty of money to lose by investing money in preventing these calls.
- Regulations. Telecommunications is highly regulated by the government to create competition and fairness, but this also slows down innovation and reduces the risks carriers are willing to take.
- It is not an easy problem to solve. The phone network is a complex web of carriers and solutions providers. Without cooperation, it is difficult to stop these calls.
- Apps like TrapCall exist. Because the spam call problem is expensive and complicated to solve, most phone carriers leave it to the professionals to solve. This is simply because apps such as TrapCall have already mastered the inner workings of effective spam call blocking, so why would they want to invest in a solution?
New laws and new cooperation between the government, telecom companies, and third-party providers are hoping to improve the telemarketing and robocall situation, but it’s unlikely to happen anytime soon.
Filing a Complaint with the FTC
Even the FTC will tell you that filing a complaint about a phone scammer, harasser, or telemarketer will not stop them from calling you again.
Call blocker apps are immensely valuable because they protect consumers from continuous harassment or a serious threat of phone scams. If the caller continues to harass you over the phone, using a call blocker app will help you provide further evidence of the caller’s offense and help you get the justice you truly deserve if you decide to press charges.
Default Phone Number Blocking on iPhone or Android
If you have received a suspicious, harassing, or unwanted phone call, one of your first instincts may be to use the default call blocking on your Android or iOS smartphone.
Many believe that blocking the number using this functionality will stop the caller from ever reaching their phone again. Unfortunately, as many likely have experienced, there are a few reasons why this will not stop the caller from reaching you again.
- Blocked, No Caller ID, or Unknown Calls. If your phone harasser realizes they’ve been blocked, there is a simple way to override your phone’s block list. All they need to do is add *67 before your phone number and voila! You’re back to square one with your phone harassment problem.
- Random Phone Numbers. Most times, if callers do not want to get caught they’ll call you from a spoofed phone number. Spam callers almost always call you from spoofed numbers because spoofed calls are nearly untraceable, making the call blocking on your smartphone obsolete. Each time you block a phone number, it will stop that phone number from calling you again – but won’t stop the spammer from calling from a different phone number.
If you are receiving calls from a blocked number and only using default call blocking, you are in trouble. iPhones and Androids do not allow the ability to unmask the blocked call, leaving you exposed to unwanted callers.
The 4 Benefits of Downloading a Call Blocking App
We’ve been working to fight unwanted calls for quite some time. 8 years to be exact. Here are the 10 benefits of downloading a call blocker app that we at TrapCall want to share with the world:
- You don’t have to change your phone number (or throw it out the window)
- You save time, money, and protect your personal identity
- Holding the caller accountable puts the power in your hands
- You always know who’s calling, even when you don’t recognize the phone number
You Don’t Have to Change Your Phone Number (Or Throw It Out the Window)
Another common solution to fight against spam callers or phone harassment is to change your number entirely. This can be costly and annoying to do, as it not only requires you to call your phone service provider to change your number – but also to inform those you care about, work with, or need to communicate regularly with.
Not to mention, changing your phone number is also the luck of the draw – you may get a recently used phone number that had the same issue with spam calls!
Many people also look into options to go entirely phone-less, especially when the problem is with a mobile number. At TrapCall, we see countless reviews & tweets about people who spent hours looking for solutions to remove the call option on their smartphones before trying a call blocker app instead. Heck, even Ed Sheeran did it!
You Save Time, Money, and Protect Your Personal Identity
It is speculated that 1 out of every 10 people are at risk of losing an average of $430 to a phone scam.
Many believe downloading a call blocker app is equivalent to downloading anti-virus software on your computer. This is specifically because a call blocker app will not only allow you to keep a personal blacklist of numbers you want to block but will also flag incoming spam or fraudulent calls to ensure you don’t answer the phone and put yourself at risk of becoming a victim to phone scams.
Holding the Caller Accountable Puts the Power in Your Hands
As mentioned above, there are very few call blocker apps that provide you with a suite of tools necessary to not only protect yourself from phone crime but hold the person accountable for their actions.
Many call blocker apps, especially free ones, will simply flag incoming calls as spam to ensure you don’t answer. While this can certainly be helpful to ensure you don’t waste time on the phone with an unwanted caller, you will need extensive functionality to stop the problem for good.
TrapCall is the only call blocker app to give you the power over the person who wronged you over the phone. TrapCall does this by offering spam call protection, blocked call unmasking, reverse phone number lookups, and phone call recording to give you complete control over who calls you.
You Always Know Who’s Calling, Even When You Don’t Recognize the Phone Number
Scam callers get smarter each and every day. They’ve become so smart that they now call from area codes similar to your phone number, tricking you into thinking these calls are from your doctor, pharmacy, or school district.
Because of this, we’ve become less trustworthy of unrecognized phone numbers – and therefore miss important calls. But what if there was a way to always know who’s calling?
Some call blocker apps will also provide caller ID services to show you who is calling you in real time. When you receive an incoming call with TrapCall, you get the person’s phone number, address, and even photo if their information is publically available. That way, you can always answer the phone with confidence!
Wrapping It Up: Call Blocker Apps are Awesome For Many Reasons
Call blocker apps the most effective solution to put a permanent end to your unwanted call problem. Their benefits range anywhere from saving the hassle of changing your phone number, getting revenge on the person who harassed you or providing evidence to authorities.
It may seem biased, but we know through experience that this is the only solution to equip you with the tools you need to protect yourself from the dangers of phone crimes. We recommend you and your loved ones download one today!
TrapCall is the #1 Call Blocker App for iOS & Android
We highly recommend signing up for TrapCall as the best solution to stop unwanted calls for good. TrapCall is the only call blocker app that provides you with the essential toolkit to combat unwanted calls, scam calls, and phone harassment. With TrapCall, you can easily hold callers accountable for their phone crimes and abuse.
TrapCall users enjoy features such as spam call protection, personal blacklist & whitelists, blocked call unmasking, reverse phone lookups, incoming Caller ID, and phone call recording in our Premium and Ultimate packages. With TrapCall, users can expect an 85% reduction in unwanted calls within the first two weeks!
TrapCall is an easy investment that ensures your privacy and personal information are protected from unwanted callers. Click below to get started today!